Baked Quinoa & Black Bean
1 cup = 1/2 starch
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or 1 tbsp granulated garlic
- 1 jalapeño, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 orange or yellow bell pepper, diced
- Juice of 1 small lime
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 (15 oz) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can tomato paste
- 1 can roasted tomatoes
- 1 cup low fat mozzarella or low fat Mexican cheese
- Toppings: Sliced green onions, avocado slices, low fat sour cream or non-fat yogurt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Add quinoa and water to a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil for 5 minutes. Turn the heat to low and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until water is absorbed. Remove from heat and fluff with a fork. Cover quinoa and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic, and jalapeño. Sauté until softened, about 5 minutes. Add in the peppers. Cook for about 3-4 minutes. Add the lime juice, cumin, chili powder, and cilantro. Stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- In a large bowl, add the cooked quinoa and black beans. Add the sautéed vegetable mixture and stir to combine. Pour in the tomato paste and canned tomatoes. Add 1/2 cup shredded cheese.
- Pour the black bean and quinoa mixture into the prepared baking dish. Top with remaining shredded cheese. Cover the pan with foil. Bake for 20 minutes, then remove foil. Bake an additional 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and edges are bubbling. Remove from the oven, and let cool for 10 minutes. Garnish with toppings, if desired. Serve warm.