Healthy Way Seafood Stew
This fresh and flavorful seafood stew is an impressive crowd-pleaser!
Serving Size: 10-12 • Counts on HW Program: 1 Cup = 3oz Protein
Prep Time: 20-30 Minutes / Cook Time: 1 Hour
- ¼ cup avocado oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 3 Tbsp minced garlic
- 2 28oz cans low sodium diced tomatoes in juice
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup dry white wine (alcohol will burn off in cooking)
- 32 oz clam juice
- 2 6oz cans tomato paste
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 2 1/2 tsp grated orange peel
- 2 1/2tsp fennel seed crushed
- ¾ tsp dried crushed red pepper
- 24 littleneck clams scrubbed
- 3 pounds cod fillets cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 ½ pounds uncooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 ½ pounds langostino
- 1 pound bay scallops
- chopped fresh basil for topping
1. Heat oil in a heavy 8-10-quart pot over medium heat.
2. Add onions and garlic and sauté about 10 minutes.
3. Add tomatoes with juice and the ingredients except the fish.
4. Bring to a boil.
5. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered until flavors blend and liquid is slightly reduced, about 45 minutes. (The recipe can be prepared a day ahead. Cool, cover and refrigerate. Bring to simmer before continuing.)
6. Add clams to the cooking liquid.
7. Cover pot and cook until clams open, about 10 minutes. (Discard any clams that do not open.)
8. Add cod, shrimp, langostino and scallops.
9. Simmer until seafood is just cooked through, about 5 minutes.
10. Season stew with salt and pepper.
11. Ladle stew into bowls. Sprinkle with basil and serve. Enjoy!!
Quick and Easy Technique…
If in a hurry, use 2 jars of Ajvar (any flavor) along with the onions, garlic, clam juice and spices.