November 7, 2018/
½ starch, 1 fat, 1/3 fruit
- 3 large – 9-inch Brown Rice Tortillas or program appropriate whole wheat tortillas
- 2 tablespoons melted butter (grass fed) or earth balance (vegan)
- cinnamon/sweetener mixture: 2 parts granulated xylitol or Swerve (erythritol) to 1 part cinnamon (feel free to add more cinnamon)
Ingredients for the filling:
- 1 1/2 packages of low-fat cream cheese (12 oz), or kite hill almond cream cheese (vegan)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp fruit sweet
- 1 scoops protein powder
Directions for the crust:
- Spray a shallow pie plate with oil on the sides.
- Cut one of the tortillas in half and leave the other whole.
- Spoon or brush enough butter on both sides of the tortillas to make the sweetener mixture adhere to the crust on one side and not stick to the pan on the bottom plus keep it from drying out.
- Arrange two of the buttered tortillas in the plate to cover the bottom and partially up the sides of the plate. (I cut one of the in half and arranged as pictured.)
- Sprinkle on top with the cinnamon/sweetener and bake in a preheated 350 degree over for 5-8 minutes. You want it to dry out a little but not get crisp and also not stay soft under the filling.
- While this is baking prepare the filling and top crust. Put butter and sweetener on the top of the 3rd tortilla and slice it in 8 pieces as shown this will form the top crust.
Directions for the filling:
- Melt the cream cheese for 30 seconds in the microwave and add the sweetener, protein powder, vanilla and cream together well. Spread the cream cheese mixture onto the partially baked bottom crust and arrange the pieces of the top crust on the pie.
- Bake this until the filling is set and no longer jiggly. Keep an eye on it so the buttered sweetener doesn’t get too dark but it was fine for the 20 minutes that it took to cook in my oven. If yours is not set and still jiggly after 20 minutes keep it in for longer. It must cool completely if you want it to slice nicely and not be a hot, but yummy, mess.
From Nana’s Little Kitchen