Tangerine, Fennel and Avocado Spinach Salad
OK, so fennel disappeared from the grocery for a few weeks and I freaked out. Well its back and Im looking forward to delving into as many fennel recipes as I can. It took me a bit to get used to the anise flavor of the bulb…since I can’t stand the taste of black licorice. However I have come to focus many of my dishes around it.
This is a very simple recipe and you can add many other colors, crunches and favorites as you would like, as the picture above shows. See below for suggestions.
Serves 4-6 ppl 1 Cup = 1/4 fruit, 1/2 fat, 1/3 Avocado = 1 fat
- 6 tangerines, peeled and chopped, seeds removed
- 2 small bulbs fennel, halved and thinly sliced, save the fronds…those grassy like things on the stems.
- 2 avocados sliced to desired thinness
- 4 cups Spinach or what ever salad green you like…my favorite is butter lettuce
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon sherry vinegar or cider vinegar…The Healthy Way has a new Citrus dressing that would go perfect with this.
- 2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- fine sea salt and ground black pepper, pinch of
Just toss all but the avocado in a salad bowl. Serve avocado slices on top of plated serving.
Other Flavors, Crunches or Colors to add:
- Basil, parsley, rosemary
- Sprouts or pea shoots
- shaved carrots