These peppers are filled with loads of protein, bold flavors, and are nutrition packed!
Makes 6 Peppers • Serving size: 1 Pepper = 2½ oz. Protein and ½ Starch
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1½ cups water (or chicken or veggie broth)
- 1 Tbsp. avocado oil
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 lb. ground white meat turkey
- 1 Tbsp. Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 12 oz. can tomato sauce (low sodium)
- 4-6 oz. fresh, chopped spinach
- ¼ cup fresh basil, julienned
- 6 bell peppers, red, green or yellow
- Shredded low fat mozzarella (sprinkle on each pepper before baking)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a saucepan, combined the quinoa and water (or broth) with a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove lid and cook approximately 3 more minutes to evaporate any excess water. Set aside.
2. In a large skillet, over medium heat, add onion, garlic and oil until translucent. Add turkey meat and seasonings, cooking until no longer pink. Stir in tomato sauce and spinach. Cook another 2-3 minutes.
3. Cut each bell pepper in half, long ways. In a large bowl, mix the quinoa and meat mixture together and spoon into each pepper halve. Top with mozzarella and bake for 25 minutes. Garnish with sprinkle of basil.
NOTE: Reserve a small amount of tomato sauce (1 Tbsp. of each pepper) and pour onto the top of each pepper with the cheese for a moist variation. Top with julienned basil before serving.
We want to see it! Follow @TheHealthyWaySantaCruz, snap a photo and tag it with #HealthyWaySC - We'd love to know what you're making!
Check out The Healthy Way Cookbook! Featuring over 100 healthy recipes to keep you on track & feeling fabulous!
Join Our Mailing List
Stay up-to-date on the latest news from The Healthy Way